Celebrate the most unique activity Ottawa has to offer – skating on the Rideau Canal – and taking in a host of fabulous winter events!
During the month of February, Ottawa’s Rideau Canal will once again welcomes skaters from far and wide to enjoy this unique outdoor experience!
While this year’s Winterlude festival is a much more subdued event, there is still plenty of reasons to celebrate the best of winter in Ottawa!
During the month of February (and March if we are lucky), the world-famous Rideau Canal Skateway (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) is open for skating. Or if you do not wish to venture that far, try the Rink of Dreams, just a block from the Carleton Suite Hotel.
Stay at the Carleton Suite Hotel, where you are at the heart of the best winter activities. The Rideau Canal, now in the Guinness Book of Records as the Longest Skating Rink in the World, is located only one block from the hotel. The Rink of Dreams located at City Hall just across the street from the hotel is now open and you can get one of our world-famous Beavertails just adjacent to the rink.
If you are into skiing or snowboarding, there are SO many options for you in the Ottawa-Gatineau region. From beginner-friendly and challenging cross-country ski trails, to exciting downhill ski and snowboard centres, we have it all!! In the Ottawa region, you can chose from Sir John A Macdonald Winter Trail, which snakes along the Ottawa River, just west of downtown. Or head out to Mooney’ s Bay Ski Centre or the numerous routes along Ottawa’s Greenbelt.
Stay tuned for more updates!!
Here are just some of the activities and experiences available in the region as of Thursday, February 18:
- Winterlude wraps up this weekend on Sunday, February 21. Until then, download the brand-new Winterlude app (search “Winterlude 2021” in the app store) to access all kinds of awesome programming and check out these highlights:
- Tune into Exploring Canada’s Winter Traditions — A national virtual show available online until Sunday, February 21 on the Canadian Heritage YouTube channel to see ice sculptures, Canadian performances, and to discover winter traditions from across Canada, including Ottawa and Gatineau. FREE!
- The BeaverTails Ice Dragon Boat Festival goes virtual with fun online programming, performances, activities, and more until Sunday, February 21. FREE!
- Ottawa Tourism launched Snowfest 613, a virtual contest encouraging locals to make and share snow creations of all kinds to win prizes, now until Sunday, February 21. FREE!
- Head to a newly reopened national museum! The Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau, Québec and the Canadian War Museum are open Wednesdays through Sundays; the Canadian Museum of Nature and the National Gallery of Canada are open Thursdays through Sundays; and the Ingenium museums (Canada Agriculture and Food Museum, Canada Aviation and Space Museum, and Canada Science and Technology Museum) open Thursday, February 18 with varying hours of operation. Advanced tickets are required for most museum visits.
- The Bytown Museum’s Beyond Bytown series continues with a virtual talk on Jewish History in Ottawa this Wednesday, February 24.
- Hunt for Hearts continues around Ottawa! Participate in this fun city-wide scavenger hunt organized by Escape Manor and the University of Ottawa Heart Institute until Sunday, February 28.
- There are tons of ways to enjoy ice skating in Ottawa! From gliding down 7.8 kilometres on the Rideau Canal Skateway—the world’s largest outdoor skating rink—to one of the City of Ottawa’s more than 250 outdoor skating rinks (including the Rink of Dreams at Ottawa City Hall and the Lansdowne Skating Court) to skating trails around Ottawa, there is something for everyone and most skating experiences are FREE!
- The Ottawa Art Gallery offers many ways to get artsy at home, while also re-opening to the public on Saturday, February 20! Check out their Winterlude Virtual Happy Hour on Thursday, February 18, Online Creative Workshop on Monday, February 22, the Virtual Opening Reception for Emergent on Tuesday, February 23, and more. FREE!